Friday, May 15, 2009

Green peas, Mint and Soy Pulao

A few months ago on a Saturday night I found myself staring at the pantry, not finding anything that motivated me to make dinner. Among other things, there was this bag of soy granules (also known a Textured Soy Protein) that I had bought a few weeks ago to make vegetable cutlets. My refrigerator was pretty much empty except for a bunch of cilantro and mint, and some carrots. I remember putting together this pulao that evening and serving it with carrot raita and pappadum. It turned out very good.
My little one asked me a few weeks later on our way back from piano, if I was going to make the soy pulav for dinner. Excited at this, I said, sure why not? My refrigerator and freezer was slightly better equipped this time, so I made it that night with green peas added to the original recipe.
It is amazing how fresh mint takes an ordinary pulao to a whole new level. This pulao is a regular in my kitchen now, I have served it to my friends' kids a few times. I think most kids would like it.
For the adults however, make sure it accompanies some spicy curry/raita/pickle.
Alternatively, you could slice a few green chillies and throw them in the pan while sautéing. Some nights I'll just use the peppermill to my advantage. According to me, fresh ground pepper gives any rice dish an instant kick :)

Ingredients-
Rice - 2 cups, uncooked (I use basmathi, any rice should be fine)
Green Peas - 1 cup, fresh or frozen
Soy granules - about 3/4 cup
Onion - 1 large, sliced
Mint - 1 - 1 1/2 cup, chopped coarsely
Ginger - 1 inch piece, finely minced
Garlic - 1 or 2 pods, finely minced
Coriander powder - 1 or 1 1/2 teaspoons
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoons
Oil/ghee - 2 tablespoons (I like to use ghee in my rice dishes- they taste reallly good :)

Whole spices -
Cloves - 4 or 5
Cardamom - 3 or 4
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Saunf or Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon

Method-
Cook the Soy granules -
In a medium sized saucepan, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Add the Soy granules and boil for another 2 minutes. Remove from the fire and strain immediately using a wire strainer. Sqeeze as much water out as possible and set aside.

(If I don't have the granules handy, I have used cooked soy chunks. After cooking them in boiling water, I just chop them up as small as I can).

Cook rice like you normally do and set aside on a plate to cool.

Meanwhile, in a smaller pan, heat the spices separately without burning and make a fine powder. Heat oil/ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add the onions about 1/4 teaspoon salt, sauté until the onions almost brown, 6 or 7 minutes.
Add the minced ginger, minced garlic, and saute for a couple minutes. Add chopped mint, saute for another minute. Add the turmeric powder, the ground masala powder and coriander powder. Stir fry for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the cooked soy granules, the frozen green peas, and another 1/4 teaspoon salt, saute for another 4-5 minutes. Combine everything well.
Remove the pan from heat and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes. Add the cooled rice, mix well and check for salt.
Remove to a serving dish and garnish with fresh mint. Sending this to JFI-Mint, conceptualized by Indira of Mahanandi and hosted by Ashwini of Ashwini's spicy cuisine.

culinarty Since this is my own original recipe, I am also sending this to the Culinarty Original Recipes #12 hosted by Lore.

2 comments:

  1. Tried this recipe,skipped the mint .. Tastes even better the next day!!!Will try with mint next time..
    Smitha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely created something wonderful Vidya. Delish! Thanks for the mint tip, I will remember it :).
    Also thank you for sharing you dish with the Original Recipes Round-Up!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my humming, happy kitchen. I really appreciate your input. Thanks for stopping by!
Vidya