Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cauliflower Dal with Panch Phoron for Tried & Tasted with Sweet potato roti

Panch Phoron is new to me. The first time I heard about it is from Raghavan Iyer's famous cookbook, 660 Curries. Ever since I read about this spice blend a few months ago, it has been in the back of my mind. I even bought a pack of nigella seeds in preparation for that. Again as usual, I just didn't get around to actually do it.

Then I read about Tried and Tasted at Vaishali's Holy Cow featuring Susan's blog, Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. The brilliant idea 'Tried & Tasted' was originated by Zlamushka of Zlamushka's spicy kitchen. I can totally relate to it Zlamushka, my bookmarked recipes' list gets longer every day.

I couldn't wait to check out what was cooking in this month's featured blog, Susan's Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. Was it the bright orange, or the Panch Phoran that caught my eye? Probably both. Was it also because Masoor Dal and Cauliflower were readily available in my pantry and fridge respectively? Joy, joy.

Being an amateur blogger, these three blogs are fairly new to me - amazing is all I can say about the three sites. Very very creative, ladies. Hats off to you.

I had already planned on making rotis with the one last sweet potato I had, after my yummily successful Sweet potato Batura. So I decided to pair the daal with Sweet potato roti. Whole wheat, lentils & cauliflower, not to mention the beta carotene rich Sweet potato. All this in one meal. Priceless. I couldn't wait to try Panch Phoran. I am so glad I tried it. Yummy. I instantly got a nod from loving hubby. Thanks Susan. Here is Susan's original recipe for Cauliflower Dal with Panch Phoran.

I increased the quantity of red pepper flakes from 1/8 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon. Other than that, I followed the recipe to the letter. Yum Yum.

Even though I have masoor dal readily available, I should confess that toor dal or mung dal are my default dals. It must be because these, along with chana dal are traditional South Indian staple lentils in Iyer households. When the dal and the veggies were cooking side by side, I was making rotis, dreaming about the green cilantro sprig adorning the final dish. Crazy me.

The Dal looks very pretty doesn't it? :)

For the rotis -
Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
Washed, peeled & grated sweet potato - 3/4 cup
Jeera (Cumin) powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Chilly powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Salt - about 1/2 teaspoon
Cleaned, chopped Cilantro leaves - 1/2 cup
Water - about 1/4 to 1/2 cup

Method -
Mix everything to combine well. Mix evenly for a couple minutes to make sure there are no lumps and the spice powders and salt are evenly distributed. Add water and make a smooth dough, knead for a few minutes. Rest for about 10 minutes and make rotis like usual.

We thoroughly enjoyed the meal, thanks to Susan, Vaishali & Zlamushka. Sending the Cauliflower Dal to Tried and Tasted May 2009. I had fun checking out Susan's Fatfree Kitchen.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. grated raw sweet potto in roti? i am so trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I'm new to panch phoran too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious curry and sweet potato roti is new to me..healthy and tasty..nice clicks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious, panch phoran is new to me too and I have been meaning to try it for some time now...and the default dals for me are tur dhal and mung dhal too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved the dal myself. Thanks for participating T&T event. I hope you ll get a chance to come up with something delish for T&T Jue as well, the Blog of The Month is Meena of Hooked on Heat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where can I purchase panch phoron?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my humming, happy kitchen. I really appreciate your input. Thanks for stopping by!
Vidya